Mental Health Training
What is Mental Health First Aid?
What Does it Teach?
MHFA is skills-based training that teaches people how to identify, understand and respond to signs and symptoms of a mental health or substance use challenge.
How do we know MHFA is effective?
- Many people know to call 911 or administer CPR for a physical health emergency but hesitate to start conversations about mental health and substance use. MHFA provides the tools a layperson needs to take action.
- Studies show that MHFA training reduces stigma, improves knowledge and increases first aid actions toward people experiencing mental health and substance use challenges.
- MHFA is proven to be effective in teaching adults how to recognize and respond to signs and symptoms of mental health and substance use challenges. Peer-reviewed studies from around the world show that individuals trained in MHFA:
- Expand their knowledge of signs, symptoms and risk factors of mental health and substance use challenges.
- Can identify appropriate types of professionals and self-help resources for individuals with a mental health or substance use challenge.
- Have increased confidence in and likelihood to help an individual in distress.
- Show increased mental wellbeing themselves